Agriculture, Economics and Nature
FREE ONLINE COURSE (with a PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible)
Duration: 6 weeks
Discover agricultural economics and learn how to use economics for better decision making and efficiency in agriculture.
Make more informed agricultural decisions as a farmer or policymaker
Economic thinking is vital in agriculture, as a farmer’s livelihood depends on the outcomes of their decisions. Governments also require economic information to make policy decisions on behalf of communities.
On this course, you’ll explore key economic principles that will help you to make sense of the changes that have occurred in agriculture and understand why different agricultural economic decisions have been made.
You’ll cover subjects like agricultural production methods, input levels, resource conservation, and sustainable agricultural production, as you consider how improved economic thinking can positively impact these areas.
What topics will you cover?
- Explore the history of agricultural production and prices, and examination into the reasons behind changes in production and prices.
- Develop understanding of water availability, peak phosphorus, herbicide resistance, and climate change.
- Look at the relationship between inputs and outputs, the optimal level of an input, the question of pollution from inputs, and flat payoff functions.
- Evaluate land conservation practices, weighing benefits and costs correctly and non-economic factors.
- Discuss the importance of extending economics beyond the farm gate.
- Discuss government policies that support agriculture, protect the rural environment, policies with problems and justifications for agricultural policy.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in economic thinking for the agricultural sector. It will be of particular interest to farmers, policymakers, and those who reside in rural communities with strong agriculture industries.
Who developed the course?
The University of Western Australia
We’re a research-intensive university ranked in the world’s top 1% of academic institutions.
The University of Western Australia are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
* ~ * ~ *
About FutureLearn: FutureLearn's purpose is to transform access to education to help create a brighter future. FutureLearn does that by partnering with over a quarter of the world’s top universities and industry partners to support millions of learners across the globe to develop skills and achieve their personal and professional goals. FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform founded in December 2012 by The Open University and are now jointly owned by The Open University in the UK and The SEEK Group. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses and micro credentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. In addition to top universities, FutureLearn also partners with leading organizations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi, SamsungUK and Health Education England (HEE), as well as being involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FREE WEBINAR · When: Thursday, 21 October 2021 · T ...
FREE WEBINAR · When: Monday, 25 October 2021 · Tim ...
You have no groups that fit your search