FREE ONLINE COURSE: 'Essential Skills for Your Career Development'
Take charge of your career development and identify the skills you need to plan and achieve your career goals.
Learn the professional career development tools to get your career on track
Most people want to achieve career success, but how can you make it a reality?
On this course, you’ll get the tools to take your career to the next level.
Using planning tools, you’ll establish goals for your career and how to achieve them.
You’ll learn how to navigate the process of applying for jobs and interviews, and consider the importance of transferable skills and creating the right professional networks.
You’ll also hear from like-minded individuals who propelled their careers forward using similar career development plans.
Featured in the UK government’s The Skills Toolkit collection.
DEFINING YOUR CAREER
- WELCOME: In this activity, you are introduced to the course and will explore what it looks like to have a career in the 21st-century workplace.
- The right path to your ideal job: In this activity, you'll learn how to identify the right path for your ideal career and explore various approaches for career development. You will also hear from two people about their different, but successful, career paths.
- Choosing the right path: In this activity, you'll explore how to create a vision board and how to use that to identify the vision and goals you have for your career.
- Goal setting: In this activity, you'll bring together your learning in order to explain your career vision. You will explore how your career goals match your personal skills and learn how to communicate your value to other people.
- Summary: You’ve reached the end of the first week of Essential Skills for your Career Development. In this activity, we’ll sum up what you’ve learned, and look forward to Week 2.
GROWING YOUR CAREER
- Welcome: In this activity, you will explore the importance of having a professional network.
- Building a network: In this activity, you find out how to identify key individuals, organisations and platforms for your network. You will learn about the network effect and you will hear from three professionals about developing your network.
- Building relationships: In this activity, you will develop your communications skills in order to engage key leads. You will receive guidance on communicating across platforms such as LinkedIn, as well as for cover letters and networking events.
- Adapting as you go: Now it’s time to bring together what you've learned so that you can evaluate your career strategy. You will explore how to use feedback constructively and look at the advantages of continuous learning for career growth.
- Summary: In this final activity, you reflect on the two weeks of the course. You’ll have the opportunity to read a summary of the key topics in the course and find out about the next steps you may like to take.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify different approaches to growing your career
- Explore a roadmap, vision board for your career path
- Explain your career vision clearly
- Identify key individuals, organisations and platforms for your network
- Develop communications to engage key leads
- Evaluate the impact of your strategy and iterate accordingly
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who have digital skills but would like to build confidence in using digital technology in the workplace.
This may include those studying for A-levels, those who have a degree, or those who want to improve their career prospects.
The course will also be useful for anyone in employment who wants to boost their digital skills or anyone returning to the workplace who’d like to gain confidence in how working practices have evolved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Digital Skills for the Workplace collection from the University of Leeds and the Institute of Coding.
Who will you learn with?
Jennifer Rosen: Hi! I'm a Lead Educator for a few of the Future Learn courses. I'm a communications specialist and filmmaker. I'm also a certified integrative health coach and yoga teacher.
Who developed the course?
University of Leeds are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
To know more about the course and to register, please visit: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/essential-skills-for-your-career-development
FREE WEBINAR · When: Monday, 25 October 2021 · Tim ...
WellRight’s wellness activities and challenge idea ...
You have no groups that fit your search