Introduction to Production Design for Film and Screen
FREE ONLINE COURSE (with a PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible)
- Duration: 3 weeks
Explore the craft of Production Design with award-winning filmmakers and learn how it adds meaning and depth to screen stories.
Production Design is at the heart of making memorable screen stories.
This course provides a basic understanding of the role of the Production Designer on feature films, short films, TV, live action, animation or game design. It will explore key concepts and core skills required to really add value and visual interest to any screen story.
Learn more about the world of Production Design with the expert creative professionals from Australia’s premier screen arts and broadcast school.
What topics will you cover?
- The history, foundations and future of Production Design.
- Research and references: the foundations of design.
- The elements and principles of Production Design.
- How Production Design supports and enriches screen stories.
- Script analysis and Art Department breakdowns.
- Controlling and enriching mood and tone in screen stories.
- Pre-visualization and visual communication.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the history, context and underlying concepts of Production Design for screen stories.
- Apply Production Design principles to appropriately enrich and support screen stories.
- Evaluate a screen story in design terms, considering appropriate and practical solutions in your response.
- Identify and communicate key principles of a screen design.
- Effectively explain basic design concepts to creative collaborators.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for all screen creators and for designers from non-screen storytelling backgrounds.
It is for anyone interesting in learning more about Production Design for film, screen and broadcast. Whether you’re interested in art and design, considering a career in Production Design or a creative screen storyteller who wants to understand more about the value of great Production Design, this course will have something for you.
What software or tools do you need?
This course doesn’t require any existing specialist skills or equipment, though there will be extension activities if you want to enhance your learning experience.
Who will you learn with?
Having designed dozens of feature films and hundreds of ads over 30 years, I chose to focus on teaching. My students are my inspiration now, providing endless delight and hope for the future.
I’m Head of Production Design at AFTRS and have been a successful production designer and art director in industry for over 20 years. My work is extremely varied in scale, scope, style and theme
I’m Head of Animation at AFTRS. I have worked in virtual screen production in animation, design and VFX for over 20 years. My screen credits include The Matrix, Moulin Rouge, Happy Feet to name a few.
Who developed the course?Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS): Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) is Australia’s premier screen arts and broadcast school, offering top online courses on FutureLearn.
Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS) are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
FREE WEBINAR · When: Thursday, 21 October 2021 · T ...
Ah, you have departed from this world so soon · bu ...
You have no groups that fit your search